Thursday, January 29, 2009

My "Brady Bunch" Life




After looking at so many sites I have really enjoyed reading about not only the craft, projects, etc but also about everyone's family so I thought I would include more family stuff in mine as well!

December 2005: At this time in my life I was a single mother with twin daughters. They turned 7 at the end of December 2005. I met Alex (my wonderful fiance) 2 days before Christmas. Alex was a father of twin boys who were 2 1/2 at the time. (When I first met Alex, I was not really interested in him but we had something in common with having twins and this kept the conversation going!) It was not long (about a month later **I know this is crazy BUT we just knew this was the real deal) before we moved in together and began our life.

Now his boys were born prematurely at 27 weeks. They had traveled a long road to get to where they were. Dominick was better then Justin. He has global delays and autistic tendencies (sensory issues, occupational issues, etc). Justin on the other hand had an IVH the day he was born which caused major brain damage. His main issues are hydrocephalus which requires a shunt, he is still fed throuh a feeding tube in his stomach, he has CP, autism, and sensory integration disorder. He does not walk or talk.

Not long after Alex and I met the boys biological mother left them with us. We did not hear from her or know where she was for 8 months. This is when I officially became a Mother with TWO sets of twins.

It is now January 2009 and we still have custody of all 4 children. The boys bio mom is not really involved (which is sad, but really best for the boys at this point in her life) so I am Mom and I love being so with all my heart. I CAN'T imagine my life without them. We hope to one day (after our marriage) for Alex and I to adopt each other's children legally. Alex has also been the only Dad in my girls life and he has provided and sheltered for them perfectly!

Time and time again people ask me if I am sure that I want to marry Alex and take on the responsibilities that lie ahead of me in regards to being a Mother with disabled children and I guess from an outsiders view this is a rational question (and I always reply nicely, you know us Southern girls) but inside I am thinking, "How could anyone ask this?" In my heart I have 4 children, I am luckier then many because I only had to go through morning sickness and getting HUGE, once....not twice!

Here is my family site that I just started to update family members in New York (yes I am marrying a Yankee with a cute accent--which a lot of Southern girls just find so charming, yea). Feel free to check it out!

14 comments:

Colleen said...

You have an awesome family and I look forward to following your blog. I started my blog last year and at first thought I would never have time to dedicate to it. Yet I have found that I really, really enjoy it and love checking out other blogs as well. So many talented, kind people out there who share wonderful ideas.

Lisa said...

SO GLAD TO KNOW YOU BETTER, THANKS. HUGS FROM MAINE http://sophie4me.blogspot.com/

Darlene said...

It is so wonderful to meet your family. I also think you did a fabulous job on reorganizing your pantry! Looks great!

Lorie said...

What a cute family!! I love your blog!

Unknown said...

What a great family and what a great mother you must be to the children! Welcome to the fun and addicting world of blogging! I visited from Rambling Girl and will be back!

kelly said...

You have a beautiful family and a gigantic heart for becoming the mother of those two special boys!! Thanks for following my blog. It is a bit boring right now but I hope to have more time for it later. Have a great weekend!

Tam said...

Great Family picture! My youngest Son has some sensory issues also and the OT had me read a book on Sensory intergration disorder. My little guy is 3 and he likes the same clothes all the time and the SAME SOCKS and same food and on and on....LOL

Mrs. L said...

Your family sounds great. I really like your blog!

Michele said...

Hi Michelle ~ I wondered over to your blog from Beth at Rambling Gal and I'm so glad I did! You have a wonderful family...beautiful children! They're very lucky to have such a great mom as you!

I added you to my favorites so that I can come back and visit often. Stop by when you have time!

Hugz,
Michele

Tam said...

Hi came by to say HI

Tam said...

Came over to say HI

Anonymous said...

It is simply excellent phrase

Anonymous said...

Hello. And Bye.

ashley @ little miss momma said...

This is a beautiful family and I am so glad you shared your story! Two sets of twins, wow! I can't ever complain about "how hard" my little guy is again, lol!